|The history of the museum
The Transport Museum Society of Ireland began with an abortive 1949 effort to preserve three Dublin trams. Vandalism and the elements defeated many of the TMSI's pioneering preservation attempts, resulting in the loss of irreplaceable treasures. Totally voluntary, the Society became a limited company in 1971 and is now a registered charity, operating to international museum standards and our own strict preservation code. The Society's Museum in the Glen of lmaal in County Wicklow, currently a reserve store, operated from 1974 to 1985. Heritage Depot at Howth Caste, for which we are indebted to Captain Christopher Gaisford-St Lawrence, opened on 1st June 1986.